Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Paleo Creamed Spinach

Creamed spinach has always been one of my favorite side dishes. Once I discovered that I couldn’t eat dairy anymore I knew that I would have to come up with a new Paleo friendly version of this side dish. I tried a few different variations before deciding to share this recipe with you, which I feel is the most similar to what I grew up with. In this process, I also discovered that creamed spinach is not photogenic!

Ingredients:
2 Tbs. Olive Oil
3 Cloves of Garlic, Crushed
1/2 C. Water
4 Big Handfuls of Fresh, Large Leaf Spinach
1/4 C. Full Fat Coconut Milk (use the thicker portion of the can plus enough liquid to make 1/4C.)
1 Tbs. Coconut Flour
1 Tbs. Water Chestnut Flour
Pinch of Sea Salt (to taste)
Pinch of Ground Black Pepper (to taste)
Heat the olive oil in a deep frying pan on medium heat.
Add the crushed garlic and saute for 3 min.
Add the water and spinach, cover and let steam until the spinach is slightly wilted.
Stir in the coconut milk until the spinach is well coated.
Dust the spinach with the coconut flour and gently mix.
Repeat this with the water chestnut flour.
Continue to cook low heat, the sauce will thicken slightly.
Add a pinch of sea salt and ground pepper, to your own taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment