Wednesday, November 25, 2015

{Thanksgiving Leftover} Paleo Squash Bread

In general, I love having leftovers. Leftovers mean that you have one more meal without having to cook. Thanksgiving is almost here I can already taste the turkey! What comes with Thanksgiving? Lot’s of leftovers! In just a few days I am sure people will be looking for fun new recipes to jazz up their leftovers. Okay, I’ll jump on that band wagon… This recipe was a happy accident as I was trying for a souffle and ended up with a thin bread which is perfect for an update to the classic Thanksgiving sandwich.

I used to LOVE the after Thanksgiving sandwich. You know the one. Two slices of bread, turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce and a little mayo, YUM. This year, having moved to a predominately Paleo lifestyle to help aid in my health and healing commitment I will have to rethink Thanksgiving a bit. To start with, the bread… This recipe not only uses a common leftover item, squash, but it adds more nutrients to my favorite sandwich!

Ingredients:
2 C. Leftover Squash
1/3 C. Cassava Flour
1/2 tsp. Arrowroot Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Herbs de Provence
Pinch of Ground Pepper
3 Medium Eggs
Depending how you served your squash for Thanksgiving you may need to do a predatory step. For this recipe the squash needs to be pureed. If you served mashed squash, you can probably use it as is… if you had roasted squash simply cut of any rind and blend the squash in a blender to make it smooth.
Add all the ingredients into a bowl and blend until smooth with a hand mixer. Pour the batter onto a rimmed cookie sheet lined with a Silpat. Bake at 350 degrees. If your batter starts to rise in the oven that is fine, it will settle. After 15 minutes cut the bread into 6 sections. Flip each section over and back for another 10-15 min. Watch your bread to make sure it isn’t getting to hard.
A little note about the Silpat: We received a Silpat as part of a wedding gift from one of my closest friends. I had heard of it before, but not really known what it was. This has turned out to be the best gift I use it all the time when cooking or baking! Yes, you can probably use parchment paper but I often get better results with the Silpat. PLUS it’s reusable and parchment paper is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment