Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Dairy Free Matcha Tea Latte



Welcome Fall! The air actually cooled down for a few days there. We were having nearly 90 degree days at the end of September, it felt like Fall would never arrive. But it did. Here it is. I love each season, especially the changing of the seasons so I didn’t hesitate to enjoy a Matcha tea latte on the first cool morning. While you can drink a latte in any season, I always associate them with fall. This is my first fall being dairy free so I knew I had some experimenting to do. I was first introduced to Matcha Tea when I was about 9 years old and enrolled in a Japanese brushwork class. The instructor started each lesson with her own mini-tea ceremony. All of the students would sit on the floor in a circle and mix our own tea our of the bright green Matcha powder and I loved it!

Ingredients:
1/2 C. full fat coconut milk (I prefer coconut milk to almond milk when heated)
1/2 C. water
1 tsp. Honey (This is optional, I like my lattes sweeter than when I drink regular steeped tea)1 tsp. Matcha tea powder
Directions:
Mix the honey into the coconut milk and heat in a small sauce pan.
Boil the hot water.
Place the Matcha powder into your favorite mug (I find it easier to use a wide mouth mug for lattes). Pour about half of the water into the mug and whisk with a bamboo whisk. Keep mixing to make a thick green paste.
Add the remaining water and half of the coconut milk mixture to the paste and stir.
Using a hand-held frother, mix the remaining coconut milk until light and foamy.
Add the foamy coconut milk to the tea and enjoy!
If you don’t have a milk brother simply add all the coconut milk at once instead.
Enjoy your Matcha dairy free latte any time of the day. I like to take a moment to myself, to relax and renew while sipping my tea.  Next I will try a dairy-free, refined sugar-free pumpkin chai! Because: Pumpkin!




No comments:

Post a Comment