Saturday, March 21, 2015

Paleo / AIP Strawberry Banana Coconut ‘Ice Cream’

I am doing a happy dance today! I have been gluten free and dairy free since Jan 1st 2015 without exception. Currently I am in day 20 of a more strict diet known as The Autoimmune Protocol (or AIP for short). While I can feel the improvements more and more each day it is always good to have medical reassurance that I am on the right path and today at my appointment my doctor could see huge improvements too!
I am going to celebrate with a little AIP Treat: Strawberry Banana Coconut ‘Ice Cream’. Here is what you need to make it:
Ingredients: (serves two, double to serve 4)
      2 frozen bananas
      4 Strawberries, Sliced
      1 tsp of Cinnamon
      1/2 Cup of Raw Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
I always have a few bananas in my freezer. If you don’t eat a banana in time and it starts to turn brown, pop it in the freezer. Frozen bananas are great to bake with (once defrosted) and for “ice cream”.
Once your bananas are frozen, take them out of the freezer and let them defrost for about 5 minutes. Then, carefully slice off both ends of the banana and then cut  the banana in half lengthwise down the middle. From here you should be able to remove the peel pretty easily.
Cut your banana into half inch chucks and add them to a food processor. Blend for about 35 seconds using the metal chopping blade. Next, add the sliced strawberries, cinnamon, and coconut flakes. Blend until the banana mixture forms a smooth, creamy texture. Be careful not to over mix or your ‘ice cream’ will begin to melt.

I find it best to enjoy this dessert right away with a few more diced strawberries on top or some more coconut flakes, yum!
 
If you have an autoimmune disease I strongly encourage you to research The Autoimmune Protocol. My symptoms reversed and made a world of difference in my day to day life. Although I saw and felt relief rather quickly with this diet change, the time it takes is different for everyone so don’t give up to early. You owe it to yourself to feel your best!

No comments:

Post a Comment